- This event has passed.
Reel Abilities Toronto Film Festival — LITTLE REBEL and REFUGE IN THE ROCKIES Screening
May 31 @ 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
From the Reel Abilities Toronto Film Festival Facebook event:
RAFFTO is excited to show two films Little Rebel and Refuge in the Rockies!
Thanks to our co-presenting community partner JAYU’s Human Rights Film Festival, Canadian Sport Film Festival, Variety Village. And venue partner, Innis Town Hall at the University of Toronto.
Dir. Aimie Vallat & Guido Ronge | USA | 10 min | Short Doc | 2017
Isatou Jallow, a woman from The Gambia living in Seattle, advocates for women, asylees, and people with disabilities. Dimensions of Isatou’s epic journey—from her origins and physical hardships to scholarship, becoming a lawyer and leader, demonstrating an ultimate resiliency and altruism— are deeply human, harrowing, transcendent, tenacious…and part of the American immigrant story.
Presented with our community partner, JAYU’s Human Rights Film Festival.
Refuge in the Rockies
Dir. Kaio Kathriner | Canada | 12 min | Short Doc | 2018
This short documentary tells the story of young Columbian refugee and Para-alpine ski champ Anderson Losada. An obscure law prevented him from Canadian citizenship and cost him his Paralympic dreams.
Presented with our community partners, JAYU’s Human Rights Film Festival, Canadian Sport Film Festival, and Variety Ontario.
ACCESS FEATURES at this screening:
• Venues (seating, washrooms, and all gender) accessible
• All films screen with open captions
• Audio description available for all films
• Scent-free policy
• Sensory-friendly/relaxed performance screening environments
• Support person tickets available at no cost
• Financially accessible ticket prices; group discounts available
• All panel discussions or post-film Q&As will be supported with ASL and/or CART services
• Personal Support Workers available at all evening programming
Tickets will be available to purchase at the door (cash only)
All RAFFTO19 screenings are free for students Grades K – 12!
For more information or accessibility requests/questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org